Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Meeting Topic : Asking for Help

Well I'm a week behind with meeting topics, I'm typing this out shortly before I head out to this week's Weight Watchers meeting!  I went to my meeting on Saturday, the fun meeting, the one where we talk and laugh a lot (maybe too much).

This week's topic was all about asking for help, a tall order for a lot of people!  (especially me)

Learn to accept help whenever its offered.  Give help whenever its needed.

First of all you need to know what kind of help you need?

Do you need advice?
  • for meeting members you can attend a meeting (you are allowed to attend more than one a week).  At your meeting you can talk to your leader one on one, bring up your problem in front of the whole group, or you can talk to your fellow Weight Watchers members.  I LOVE being asked questions because I feel like I have so much to share (e-mail me, comment me I'm happy to answer)
  • if you're not already a member, join the Weight Watchers online communities and ask your questions there!  For me its been a huge tool, a big help, and a great sounding board.  I also love to help and answer people's questions.  I personally like to hang out in the Newbies Get Acquainted forum.
  • the blogging community is also an awesome place!  Sometimes its nice to read about someone in a similar situation as you.
Do you need support?
  • I think any of the points above can apply in this area
  • Also you can seek the support of your family/partner. Perhaps you need emotional support?  Do you need support when it comes to keeping those danger foods out of the house.  Do you need your partner to please eat their treats outside the home?
  • Is exercise a problem?  Ask a friend/partner to become your exercise/walking buddy.  If you have a date to meet someone you often pressure each other to "just do it"
Asking for support is scary and is not a sign of weakness.  Sometimes you don't get the support you need from your family, friends and loved ones.  Often the reason is because they are afraid to see your success because they think you're going to change and be a different person.  Yes this is a big change, physically and psychologically but you are still going to be that same person deep down inside.  Sometimes we have to re-assure the people around us that this is a change for you, for your health and for the better.

For me, my biggest step was admitting I needed help!  I knew how to eat properly, I knew I needed to be more active but I just couldn't get my act together.  I couldn't do it on my own.  That was a very hard pill to swallow.  Once I had decided I was going to join Weight Watchers to try to loose weight, it still took me three months to walk through that door and attend my first meeting.  To me it was admitting that I was weak.

Boy I was so wrong on that account, I wasn't weak... I just had to learn how to put my hand out and ask for help.  Now I'm not afraid to ask anyone (my meeting leader, my family and friends, or even the online community) for help.  Everything I have learnt has just made me a stronger and better person.

Now an update on my fundraising for Breast Cancer Research!  The run is now 5 days away and I've surpassed my fundraising goal for this year!  I've now raised over $1100.00 I am still accepting donations as I would love to blow my goal out of the water.  Click here to donate ONLINE.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

A gentle reminder to ask for help is always a good topic because it's so easy to forget that we all need support once in a while; and we can't always expect those who are close to us to know on their own that we need help. I have a really hard time asking for help but I am getting better at this. Thanks for a great post.

jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...

Great topic Dani and so very true. We all tend to hide the need for help and are there for everyone else. It is not a weakness to ask for help, in fact it proves a strength within which many are not aware they have.