|Me and the Dominican Experience gang at the La Romana Airport|
I am reporting about my Dominican Experience on my other blog and you can read about Day 1 HERE. I will continue to share the links to the reports as I blog about each day, just give me some time to get through it all. In an ideal world I'd like to get it done before I head to Arizona.
I weighed in the day I left, two Fridays ago and I'm happy to report my weight was back down, 3lbs! So I was very happy to know I was heading off on this trip at my goal weight. My next concern was to be mindful of what I ate while I was gone, I knew this trip wasn't a free ticket to eat whatever I wanted to for a week. Last year I didn't cope with the trip very well, food wise gained about 5lbs while in the DR then put on another 3 during March Break (last year the trip and the break were back to back). I then weighed myself the first morning back (Saturday) and I was down another 0.5 lbs. Success! I was just so proud of myself to be in an alien environment for a week and to loose weight! I also didn't have access to a gym nor was there the time or environment to allow me to go out for a walk or run. This week I've been dealing with getting my food and exercise back on a normal schedule. I'm really struggling with candy cravings and I've been giving in, a bit disappointed in myself there. I hope to do better tomorrow, each day is a fresh start.
I did make it to my meeting last week (Saturday morning) and have every intention to make it again this upcoming week. It was great to be back, and I was welcomed with a big hug from my leader. The meeting topic was portion control, something we always need to be reminded of.
We all tend to get "portion distortion" after awhile, become comfortable with the plan. So if you don't already do so religiously its a good idea to weigh and measure your food on a regular basis to be reminded of what a cup or a 1/2 cup really is. We tend to eat with our eyes and don't listen to our body's physical hunger signals.
Did you know that :
- In the 1950's the average dinner plate size was 9 inches?
- That Today the average dinner plate size is 12 inches?
- That the average male waist in 1950 was 35 inches and the average woman 30?
- Today the average male waist is 39.7 inches and the average woman 37?
So how do we practice portion control?
At home :
- use a scale to accurately weigh foods, especially meats
- keep your measuring cups and spoons in a handy location or on the counter in plain sight
- level off when measuring
- use ziplocks and pre-portion your food in advance
- write the point value on food packages
- plan and prepare meals in advance
- be aware of what a serving size is
- Doggie bag 1/2 of the portion before eating
- order your sauce on the side
- Replace other foods/starches with vegetables
- Order salad dressing on the side, then dip your fork in the dressing before getting salad on the fork
- Order a kids/seniors meal
Have a good week!