Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Setbacks Lead To Comebacks...

Setbacks lead to comebacks, if that's true.... why are comebacks so hard?

I've been playing lip service to getting these 8 lbs I've put on back off again.  As of yesterday I've started yet again to get "serious", to get back on program.  Boy is this hard oh so hard.  At home my environment is temptation free, but work is a different story.  On Monday alone, two candy dishes with chocolate on it, more chocolate on the back counter at work, cinnamon buns, and assorted fruit breads on a table in the staff hallway, and cupcakes in student services.  Each of these traps I had to navigate yesterday, I almost crumbled a few times but I didn't.  I'm proud of that.  Today, not so many stumbling blocks, the same candy dishes are well stocked, I did spot cupcakes again, and one different temptation doughnuts.  Arrrgh!  Again I walked away from all of this.  Day two, successful.

The other thing I'm coming back from is that darned cold I had over a week ago now.  It took until mid last week to get my energy levels back.  This past weekend the congestion in my lungs finally cleared up and I ran for the first time on Saturday morning in 10 days.  It wasn't a big run, only 2 miles running 5 minutes, walking 1 minute.  No where near the 10K I'll be running in 10 days.  Today I had to fight myself to get back on the treadmill after work (the weather has been so cold, wet and miserable, almost like October).  Tonight I managed to run for 15 minutes (at a slower pace than before my illness) without a walk break, I was determined to put in 5K tonight.  The rest of the time I ran at a 5:1 ratio.  I completed it, proud of that. 

This comeback is going to be a really long road.  I just have to keep trying, eventually it'll stick.

5 comments:

Blubeari said...

I don't know why workplaces have to have so much junk food! Mine is horrible! And they won't even just leave it out in the hall or the break room. Sometimes they will walk right into my office and put donuts in my face. Who does that?????

ollie1976 said...

Our workplace is the same way. Great job in avoiding it and getting back to exercising. I'm right there with you on trying to make a comeback.
-Jen

Laura said...

Thank you for this post. It is inspirational.

Just this morning someone left baked goods in the staff lounge. I don't know who made it but I tell myself that it was made by someone I do not like in order to not be tempted. Strange, I know (and probably twisted), but it works for me.

I also happen to know where the candy is kept. Thankfully there is just one spot. Unfortunately, it is very close to my desk. I need to stop making special trips to that candy dish.

I have also picked up a very nasty vending machine habit. I need to stop that! Stat! I have taken leaving all my change at home. Hey, whatever works!

Lisa said...

I'm really sorry you have such temptations in your workspace. I think in the UK that doesn't seem to be such an issue, or it wasn't in most of the places I worked, but I can imagine how hard it would be to resist, and the fact that you are doing is proof that you're getting yourself back on track and that gain will keep coming off.

Unknown said...

Dani, I can SO sympathize with you. My entire April was upside down and the loss of my routine left me staggering. I'm still trying to get back to where I was but it is HARD! Temptations everywhere we go isn't helping either, is it? One day at a time. We've done it before and we'll do it again (we know all to well the consequences if we don't!) Good luck!