Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Nike+ Sensor

Back in October I treated myself to a new running gadget, running isn't something I'm SUPER seriuous about but I do kinda enjoy it, and its a great calorie burn.  I think its part of whats shaped my body to what it is today.

After a little online research I decided I wanted a Nike+ Sensor to pair with my iPhone which I always have with me when running (I once had a serious medical situation while out running on my own on a backroad...with no phone) on the roads.  iPhones and iPod touches already have the Nike+ app/sensor built into it.  I also didn't want to spend my money on the Nike+ shoes.  I found out there's a little case/clip you can get to attach a sensor to your laces, saves the expense of a new pair of shoes when I already have a perfectly good pair of runners.  So for me the total investment was under $40

The software does some great things, I can set it up for an open ended workout.  This means there is no goal time or distance.  I used this all the time at first.  You can do a timed workout, haven't used this yet.  Distance (3K, 5K, 10K, 2mi, 5mi, 10mi, half marathon full marathon, custom), I am using this one reguarly now.  Finally calorie burn.  I haven't used this one yet either.  Once you've selected the type of workout you then select if you want it to use one of your playlists or shuffle the music on your device.  When setting up the app you also can set one song as your "Power Song" its that one song that gets you through that tough hill, that last mile, those last 5 minutes.

At any time you can get an update on how you're doing with a voiceover.  It'll let you know how far you've gone and how long you've run.  When using the distance workout I love how it tells me when each kilometer has passed, when I'm at the half way point and when I'm down to those last couple of hundred meters.

When you're done your workout, the app gives you a summary of distance, time, and calories burnt (based on settings you put in when you set it up).  When you're done you can sync your phone with iTunes and it upload your run data to the Nike+ website where you will get a cool line graph or your pace during your run, its neat to see those peaks and valleys.  It also helps to track the total distnace you've run.  There are coaching programs to lead you up to a 3K, 5K, 10K, 1/2 and full marathons, you can challenge others and use it to share your runs on Facebook and Twitter.

 So all in all I love my Nike+ sensor and I don't run without it!  I think its motivated me to run more often and try to run a little further.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been waiting for this post!! Yay! Thanks Dani, for giving me some info about it. I've read from Nike's website but was always hesitant because I cannot wear Nike shoes - they are too narrow for my feet; I figured there had to be a way to get around buying the shoes - thanks so much!